Re: [microsound] Sound installations

--============_-1168610239==_ma============

At 8:25 PM -0800 1/23/03, ph!L @ c e n t i b e l wrote:
>  I'm just curious if (m)any among you have done
>much work in the sound installation format.

PHIL:

....as a visual artist with an intense interest in sound, I have done
quite a number of projects that merge the two mediums. Here are some
links to different projects:

- THE SUSPENDED ROOM
Based off of a two-person character play I wrote, this project in its
final form ended up being a very abstract sound installation with
quite a visual presence:

http://www.netcore.ca/~obscure/artist/suspend.html

- PILLOW SCENES
A fairly large series of surreal photographic portraits with a sound
element added to each... very much an exercise in experimental
narrative:

http://www.netcore.ca/~obscure/artist/pillow.html

- THE AUDIODROME
A series of 4 different sound installations by 4 different artists...
all have visual elements to some degree (my piece for the series was
called 'Explaining Noise to Dead Air'):

http://www.thinkbox.ca/sounds_audiodrome.html

- DETACHABLE MUSIC FOR A COLLAPSIBLE CULTURE
....a show I curated in '98 that dealt with visual artists working
with sound: some of it was installation-based, some of it was
object-based, some of the works were video works with sound-driven
contexts...

http://www.netcore.ca/~obscure/artist/dm-1.html

A few other resources to note:

- XLR8R Magazine did a feature on audio art a bit back:  issue #46,
"Audio Artivity: The World of Sound Art"

- DAVID TOOP curated a show called 'Sonic Boom' in maybe 1999 that
might be good research if you can find the catalogue (he also wrote
the forward to the catalogue for Detachable Music, mentioned above)

( p.s...  love this thread, would love to see what others are up to)