Re: [microsound] the black, the white, and the Mutek @ Stylus

dear Dagmar,

Thanks again for your points. You draw out difficult questions. I fear that
I will have to be reductive, so as to avoid a neverending discussion of
certain points, and at that, to avoid filling everyone's inboxes ;)

As I mention in the other email on this thread, I think where our words have
touched have sparked a few areas to begin thinking about what is at question
here, but I am worried about carrying on an argument that would attempt to
totalise its sides to truth. Thus I will attempt to make clear a few points,
then perhaps we can move on to other things entirely.

1. I like the way you talk of the wave. Believe it or not, I spent a good
part of my childhood in Maui, and I am also an avid (free)skier, so I can
well understand what you mean--or, what one feels. I'll get back to this in
a second.

2. I tend to be suspicious of the Frankfurt school's rationalization of
fascism, especially as a "clever manipulation." Perhaps because of the
necessity to consider the entire telos of a dialectic, of what is implied in
this critique, of manipulation, of an ideology.

3. I'm not sure if one can bracket the "ego" (which would be a process of
phenomenological reduction), if one can say to have an "ego,"
phenomenological, Freudian, or colloquial. Thus I am not sure if there is a
"willing loss of control" (as if we ever had "control"--which you bring up).
Perhaps a pragmatic approach of a threshold; there is something other that
occurs when one dances with sound. Inscriptions of sonic memory in the body.

4. Oedipus. I am referring to hierarchical structure here by the name of
Oedipal structure, perhaps phallogocentric structure, and that rave culture
came to embrace such a structure through PLUR, which is to say that through
the culture's attempt to codify its openness it reinforced and delimited its
boundaries and established a static territory and a system of hierarchical
positions.

5. Masochism is meant here in the Deleuzian fashion: an open, affirmative
reading of Sacher-Masoch. Masochism, as you point out, as the attempt to
make oneself a body without organs. Yet masochism--again as you point
out--risks the hollowed body. (I'd also like to add: masochism perhaps risks
the slave; this is to extend and perhaps engage Deleuze on this point). I
think you describe this quite accurately in the fish-eyed ravers. Perhaps
here we can pose this extraordinary thought, at least for me, I think it
opens up a way, here:

Is dancing not close to surfing?

Ocean and sound.

Becoming-curve of the wave; becoming-ear of the body.

Yet: so different.

Dancing, together, in a group--there is something other, in the formation of
a sonic social, than the relations formed between surfer and water.
Microfascism can form anywhere, but the formation of it in the motion of
surfing is difficult to believe (perhaps in the structures of patriarchy and
onshore violence--but this is another discussion). The surfer, as you
mention, would get tossed into the wall and drubbed across coral if s/he
attempted to fight a wave. Yet is there not also the wave that one should
not have dropped? The unexpected wave, the ocean rearing its head as if it
was out to revenge itself? And finally, the tsunami?

Dancing, in the moment of the dance itself, insofar as it is a moment
itself--we've already heard about its imminent network of bodies--holds a
potential for abolition when conjoined with an entire structuration of an
event that turns from open, temporal, and temporaneous to codified, even in
its *resistance* to the "mainstream" codifications (thus revolutions can be
fascist). I don't think this can be attributed to drugs, as if drugs were
the essence or catalyst of this danger. As D&G say, "so many things can be
drugs." Drugs are as double-edged as any other thing (or as any word). The
BwO that burns itself out (like Artaud, like all those "writers" with their
ailments--and Deleuze too, don't forget!) is not necessarily "negative;" it
is just that so much caution is necessary for making oneself a BwO. And that
caution was not a patiently considered quality of apocalyptic, anarchically
oriented, hedonistic and masochistic rave culture, in the participation of
its events; yet in other ways, caution was necessary for the event planning
(Angela Roberts has a great paper noting the incredible organisational
skills that rave promoters have: is this not an organisation of space and
time to allow and open this space of the sonic? A pragmatic preparation:
scouting warehouses, neighbours, police patrols; double-infolines,
checkpoints; cryptic flyers and directions; cutting locks, jacking power;
the distribution of techno vinyl; the event; its aftermath). This is what I
will say for now, rather polemically, except to note that I have spent some
years thinking and experimenting with this situation. It is difficult to
think of. It will take some time.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. I think I have fairly exhausted myself on
the topic, especially given the "testing ground" nature of these posts, and
will take a few minutes to grab a drink and move on to a few other things ..

best,

tobias

---McGill Communications------
ICQ: 18766209 | AOL: thesaibot