Re: [microsound] [OT] Philip Glass

The pHarmanaut wrote:

> I also saw a live _Koyaanisqatsi_ performance way back in the day in
> Lubbock, Texas, of all things, when I was an undergraduate at Texas Tech. I
> was also moved to tears. Just awesome, and for someone whose concept of
> electronic music at the time was only Tangerine Dream (who I also love), it
> was a mind-opening experience that led me to take experimental music classes
> though an English lit major. So, yeah, life-changing.

Funny, now that I think about it, I was a few years out of high school,
mid-eighties, and Tangerine Dream was the bomb (the soundtrack to the movie,
_The Thief_).  At the time I was an art student, and it was the film, more so
than the music, that flipped me out.  Spiritually, it sparked me to think more
about balance.

It took a few years for the music to catch up.

> She and her friend
> stumbled into the after-performance reception, where they were mistaken by
> Philip Glass groupies by one keyboardist who promptly invited these
> underaged beauties to his hotel room!

Glass groupies.  Too funny.  Can you imagine those backstage parties--everyone
asleep after some marathon concert, or the keyboardists' hands in ice?

I'm a fan, but not a fanatic.  When I was living in NYC, I caught a performance
of _Monsters of Grace_ at Brooklyn Academy of Music, and I fell asleep.  _Music
with Changing Parts_ is a bit too much for me.

~ kasper wrote:

> Amongst my favourites are the recording for the opera, 'Einstein on the
> Beach'.

This, too is one of my favorites, although I still prefer the vinyl release from
the late 1970s (CBS?).

G.

"Ooh, ooh, 'An Evening with Philip Glass.' Just an evening?"
--Homer Simpson