From: "tobias c. van Veen" <tobias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Microsound" <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 5:06 PM
Subject: re: [microsound] Album of the Year (thank you)

I should not be saying anything.

But I just can't help it .. so please write this off somewhat. All aesthetic
debates are caustic to some degree, although I will try and avoid that.

That said --

Akufen has done more for minimal techno than the previous 3 years of
releases combined. Agreed that personally, I dig his Montreal Nightclubbing
LP on Perlon much more than "My Way." The former is a rocking techno monster
that has shed more sweat on the floor -- try doubles of some of those tracks
-- than anything I have thrown down, from Detroit, Germany, or wherever, in
some time. It's a techno lover's album, a DJ's DJ album. "My Way" is perhaps
the nu-listener-hype release, but also an exploration farther into the early
'80s (Moroder influences rate much higher).

Personally I think Detroit is an inspirational bastion, but the style tends
to niche and date itself. I remember the "Swedish Invasion" and how they
hated that shit on 313. Today, I hear all those early Beyer records, and I'm
like: this is real beautiful techno .. Moreover I find it troubling to see
Detroit held as a yardstick for "techno"--not anymore. Montreal, Akufen, has
its own funk, its own sound. Detroit doesn¹t go over well in Montreal,
either. Which isn't to hold one up above the other -- just to recognise the
otherness of the two.

I mix the two together -- I've been DJing (minimal / hard / dub / Detroit /
German / experimental) techno for awhile and I see Akufen as working quite a
few aesthetics negated by the Detroit crowd. Purity in any discourse is the
mark of its creative limit and (self) censorship.

And I feel alienated in Montreal as a lover of Detroit. When I've spun that
here, people don't jive with it. It's darker, funkier ..

Which is why I am interested to see the Mat Jonson show (itiswhatitis
records from Victoria / Vancouver, BC) this Saturday here in Montreal. This
is a "micro.mutek," also with Colin the Mole (aka Bodensee), who is also
from Vic. I think, to be honest, West Coasters have done more to bring
together the Detroit sound, the German sound, dub, and Montreal's
innovations more than anywhere else -- perhaps because we've always dug that
dub sound, with Interchill Records and all, and because we're all a little
paranoid from the spliff. Whatever. Mat's records conjure the looped tension
of Detroit with a sampled repetition of a dirty backalley Brinkmann -- then
there's Daniel Gardner, who takes the splice and dice of Akufen on his two
Background releases and adds another layer of thud.

Anyways ..

tV

> well I'm able to appreciate "laptop techno" since thats what I DO, but
I've

tobias c. van Veen -----------
http://www.quadrantcrossing.org
http://www.thisistheonlyart.com