Re: [microsound] this list is the least banal disinteresting one that i've ever received

I completely disagree ... the original post brings forth what I consider to
be a very informed insider's negative and confused (not clueless ... more
frustrated) reaction to all the stuff that gets posted on here.

I've thought many of these things as well.  I have a different approach
where I don't mind that people are doing what goes on here.  The original
post almost sounds like a "stop this inane crap" ... where I feel that my
opinion about all of this is pretty irrelevant as long as the "artists" are
happy doing what they're doing.  That's all I feel that matters with
creating music/sounds anyway.  After all, you usually only listen to what
you want to and what you create/capture/modify is yours for you to enjoy and
share as you wish.

After reading everyone's explanations, Post-Modern-Essay-Generator-Sounding
manifestoes ( http://www.elsewhere.org/cgi-bin/postmodern/ ), various almost
desperate self-validating artistic excuses, and genuine good points, I've
mostly arrived at peace with the existence of this list.  Still, the only
thing that I still believe is inexcusable, reprehensible, and idiotic is the
pretentiousness that seems to run rampant on here ... but that's a people
problem.  Keep buying those turtlenecks and dark framed glasses, guys.

Greatest hits from this thread (and indeed, the list, in my opinion) are the
post from ".--- ..." which makes a beautiful point that peacefully explains
a lot:

>i find it helpful to think of art as a part of living. not an artifact
>[something to consume, to own]. maybe this will help you to accept that
>some people just find themselves making music, and then they promote it;
>all in different ways [for many different reasons].

and Dominic Lanzone with his peaceful, informative, and constructive
response and suggestions.

Devon Armstrong, thank you for posting.  Non-threatened responders, thank
you for helping me understand art and its purpose a little more.

-Christian