RE: [microsound] OT See men shredded, then say you don't back war

Bill;

-----Original Message-----
From: billashline@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:billashline@xxxxxxxxxxxx]=20
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 8:54 PM
To: microsound
Subject: Re: [microsound] OT See men shredded, then say you don't back
war

fgrecs@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>Fine.  I'm being rough with you because I've been following this
thread
>>for awhile and it's finally irritated me so much that I had to make a
>>point.  To make this VERY clear, I am attacking those who support the
>>mush and blather, NOT YOU PERSONALLY!!!  If this isn't good enough for
>>you, then deal with it.

>OK, I will.

>http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html

>I don't consider you being "rough" with me, tough guy, just a little=20
>sloppy, intellectually that is.

Er, I think both of us are guilty of that one, oh fellow black kettle.

>>but you have to understand realpolitik.=20

>Oh I think I have a good handle on that one.

I don't agree with your points.  You seem to have your handle and me
mine.

>>recall someone slandering Joe as being "either na=EFve or stupid."

>OK, the "stupid" part was unnecessary.  I think it's very clear that=20
>sanctions punish civilians not leaders.  The evidence is obvious by
this=20
>point.

Honorable of you to say that it was unnecessary.  And I do agree with
poor Iraqis got a horrible deal.  But in the end, I still feel Saddam
should have ponied up.  He didn't and made his country pay while he
lived the life of Reilly, as it were.

>>It is
>>my opinion that it is the left that behaves in this way.  Pipe dreams
>>are not what builds a government.

>No.  Nor do dreams built from wielding pipes.

Indeed.  Compromise works in some instances.

>>I did not know you were a resident of the US.  Then you have a right
>>make any comment you wish.  If you are not, then you don't know squat
>>about this place.

>I'm an American but not currently an American resident.  But your
second=20
>argument is invalid.  It's the genetic fallacy.  Being from a place and

>knowing about it are too different things.  One person who had some of=20
>the best insights on the US was Toqueville.

You are in the same position I'm in, as I hardly live here these days.
I beg to differ on your genetic fallacy statement, however.  Those who
love to slander the US overseas get their ideas about the US and are as
pig-ignorant about how things work here as some Yankees are
embarrassingly deficient in their knowledge of anything outside of their
city.  It is the same the world over.  Toqueville is an extremely high
standard to set for the rabble that wish ill will toward America.

>>So the rule, "He who has the power has the gold, and he who has the
gold
>>has the power."  The fathers weren't ready for it, but the framework
was
>>there to include EVERYONE.  Spare me that votes don't matter.
Democrats
>>just can't handle that they lost the presidency.  Lincoln didn't get
the
>>popular vote, either, and I think the country ended up doing well
under
>>his leadership in the long run.

>Non-Democrat democrats can't handle it that America is a republic all=20
>the while pretending to be a democracy.  The ends justifying the means=20
>is a specious argument.

That is the fault of those who exchange democracy and republic as
interchangeable words.  The school systems here suck, and you should
know this.  But it's not so much better in Europe, despite what some of
our European mates might say (and this coming from one who received
primary education there).

Play on, playa.

Rudy