Re: [microsound] predictablism : : turntablism

> tobias  writes:
>
>> The way I see it, Martin Tetreault, Janek Schaeffer, Mike Hansen et all
> are
>> phonographists. They are engaged in phonography-- yes, the art of
> playing
>> with phonographs. This has been going on among the avant-garde since
>> phonographs were invented at the end of the 19th century.
>
> Oh yeah? Well, thanks for reminding me because whenever I think of the
> term, for some reason I think of this: http://www.phonography.org/
>
> or this?  http://www.phonography.com/     ;-)

I can see that. Often field recordings, tapeloops, and phonograph
manipulations are grouped under phonography.

However, I take the term "phonography" as it was coined by the avant-garde
itself to denote the use of record players. Douglas Kahn notes this in
_Noise Water Meat_.

I wouldn't immediately associate field recordings with phonography--given
that the proper name for record player is phonograph.

Field recordings should perhaps give their name to the art of sound
recording with microphones-- micography ..

tV