re: project invite: 'City of the Future'

> I've always had a favorite part of 'Solaris': 'the city of the future' - as
> it is titled on the DVD release...the entire scene is recorded from the
> point of view of the astronaut as he drives to the city on the highway...the
> sound design for this particular scene has always haunted me...

I had seen the film before I visited Japan for the first time though I
was already certain the visuals were shot there. So whenever I'm on the
highway in tokyo and not talking to someone all I think of is that
scene, maybe even shoot some video where you just see the road's
superstructure, which I've tried. Though I guess if you start looking at
the whole panorama not fill the view with the road you tend to focus on
anything incongrous within the sprawl, like an indoor ski slope, a
Disney castle, etc. I guess in contrast the ride to Kansai International
reminds one more of Blade Runner with the belching flames and cities of ductwork.

nick