From: fugadeserebros [mailto:fugadeserebros@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 25 March 2003 17:03
To: microsound_list
Subject: [personal] [microsound] City Of The Future - another approach

Hi list!

Kim wrote:
>>I thought the title was fitting due to the current world
>>situation...it is
not an overt political theme for the project but it implies hope for a
city in the future...so while this could mean 'Baghdad' it could also
mean the city you live in/near or a city you like to visit...a city
could also represent any large collection of various types and races of
people...

so far i've noticed that almost everybody has taken the "sci-fi"
approach to the project, and that's ok; i'm big fan of sci-fi movies and
even bigger fan of stanislaw lem's books (the author of solaris), but
there is the other side of this invitation: thinking about the city of
the future.

ok, i'm an architect and urbanist and this project touched me in a
special way. i'm inviting you to investigate the philosophy of
contemporary urbanism> the cities we see in most sci-fi movies from
metropolis to blade runner are representations of a culture of
accumulation, while other approaches corresponding to a culture of
fluxes, for instance, don't have a representation in any movie i know so
far.

the golden years of urbanism are full of visual ideas (and idealism).
search for Le Corbusier's plans in the early '30s. just to mention one.
all of them are in a way at the same point that microsound is in its own
discipline. all about aesthetics, all about politic, something i can't
put toghether nor separate.

greetings for all

<crlos>