From: Richard Zvonar [mailto:zvonar@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 12:38 PM
To: microsound
Subject: RE: [microsound] Re: OT[microsound ] war

At 11:00 AM -0800 3/26/03, <macrosound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>This has made me think of the dadaist movement in post WWII Europe.
>People were in a state of confusion.  Their entire world(physically,
>mentaly) had been turned upside-down and they began to question what =
was
>real.

Make that "WW I" aka "the Great War." The Dada movement started in=20
Z=FCrich in 1916, less than two years after the onset of the war and=20
more than two years before its end. Many artists and others were=20
taking refuge in Switzerland during the war (it's interesting to know=20
that Lenin was in Z=FCrich at that time and frequented some of the same=20
spots as the Dadaists).

Avant garde art movements have had interesting relationships to war,=20
revolution, and politics - and not always on the side of peace. F.T.=20
Marinetti and the Italian Futurists were pro war and later aligned=20
with the Fascists (his 1924 "Futurism and Fascism" argued that=20
Fascism was a nutural extension of Futurism).

The Russian Futurists were active in the years following the Russian=20
Revolution, organizing agit-prop campaigns to promote the coming=20
utopian society. This optimism didn't last, and they were later=20
denounced as decadent and counter-revolutionary.
--=20