Re: [microsound] project invite: 'City of the Future'

spw <stevepwats@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have to admit my opinion may be a little bias because I'm not a huge fan
> of IDM music.
> But I would say a practical purpose for this list would be to create
> projects where people demonstrate
> techniques in DSP and they describe what software they use.

Firstly, if you'd read the microsound site properly when you signed up to
this list, you would have realised that demonstrating DSP techniques is not
within the remit. Secondly, who's interesting in listening to demonstrations
anyway?

> How many people actually spend all day downloading MP3 quality music?

Have you read any newspapers in the past 3 years? Plenty, especially if they
are interested in music not put out by corporate scumbags.

> MP3 labels are lame especially when it's doodle ambient sound manipulation
> type shit.

For collector geeks who like to say "I've got the original, with the limited
edition insert, and "exclusive" bonus tracks" mp3 labels are indeed lame.

> MP3 is great for previewing tracks to get a general idea of what a song
> sounds like.

Indeed. It's also great for distributing music for free. Of course, if
you're hung up on having something physical to gaze at, you could always
burn them to CDR.

> Projects that I would actually bother to participate in:
>
> - create tracks to put on my own album or a demo.

Why don't you do that then? Nobody's stopping you. Perhaps you could use the
projects as an impetus. You don't have to upload them to the hotline server
if you don't want to.

> - music for my own records label if I had the finances to start my own
> label.

Why not start an mp3 label? Oh, I forgot - they're lame.

> - if I was getting paid to create my style of music for a client like a
> commercial, movie, ect...

So you eant to create music for commercial? Now I see where you're coming
from.

> - a remix contest if it had the potential of being released on a legit
> label.

What's a "legit" label? Does it have to be part of the Bertelsmann empire to
qualify?