Re: [microsound] war, and fishy & unbalanced business

dkl37 wrote to microsound:

djc> but George The Second was selected into office by a last minute
djc> "vote" of the Supreme Court, most of which were members of the
djc> Republican party.

And the person who wrote the decision in that vote thinks popular
democracy is an impediment to the proper action of the Will of God:

Scalia> These passages from Romans represent the consensus of Western
Scalia> thought until very recent times. Not just of Christian or
Scalia> religious thought, but of secular thought regarding the powers
Scalia> of the state. That consensus has been upset, I think, by the
Scalia> emergence of democracy. It is easy to see the hand of the
Scalia> Almighty behind rulers whose forebears, in the dim mists of
Scalia> history, were supposedly anointed by God, or who at least
Scalia> obtained their thrones in awful and unpredictable battles whose
Scalia> outcome was determined by the Lord of Hosts, that is, the Lord
Scalia> of Armies. It is much more difficult to see the hand of God?or
Scalia> any higher moral authority?behind the fools and rogues (as the
Scalia> losers would have it) whom we ourselves elect to do our own
Scalia> will.

and

Scalia> The mistaken tendency to believe that a democratic government,
Scalia> being nothing more than the composite will of its individual
Scalia> citizens, has no more moral power or authority than they do as
Scalia> individuals has adverse effects in other areas as well. It
Scalia> fosters civil disobedience, for example, which proceeds on the
Scalia> assumption that what the individual citizen considers an unjust
Scalia> law?even if it does not compel him to act unjustly?need not be
Scalia> obeyed. St. Paul would not agree. ?Ye must needs be subject,? he
Scalia> said, ?not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.? For
Scalia> conscience sake. The reaction of people of faith to this
Scalia> tendency of democracy to obscure the divine authority behind
Scalia> government should not be resignation to it, but the resolution
Scalia> to combat it as effectively as possible.

full text at:
http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft0205/articles/scalia.html

I'm sure the good Justice felt a little thrill deep in his intestines
when he could think to himself, back in 1/2001, "I am now the very Hand
of God in American Politics."

Excuse me, I need to take a bath now.

--
Jim Flannery                            newgrange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

     When you can't give anything, you can also receive nothing.
     Through giving, you also receive. You can never stop giving.
     When you have nothing more to give, you're dead.
                                           -- Mustafa Tettey Addy

np: Aranos/Mueller/Rosenau, _Bleeding in Behind Pastel Screens_
nr: Jonathan Crary, _Techniques of the Observer_