shades of grey

> since when did live pa's include playing other peoples tracks?

giant can of worms.  at what point in the processing of an audio file
created by someone else does the work become "your own"?  or in a
programming context, if I take one of your patches and make a few
changes, is it now mine?  perhaps most importantly, are ownership
scruples like this keeping us honest, or holding us back?

for the record, my music making - live and otherwise - almost always
makes use of data from music that I did not create.  sometimes it's
subtle and sometimes it's blatant.

bbn