Re: [microsound] shades of techne, or the grey zone

Dear List,

This thread on sampletheft puts me in mind of the notion of genrefucking
(like genderfuck) - or, to change the metaphor endocolonisation. Where the
subverting artist inhabits/colonises a chosen genre - takes on the habitus
and pulls it apart from the inside artfully tugging away at the surface that
is reading/writing/subject-ility. Interesting examples here: horrid modern
soul/r'n'b done by Supercollider (Christian Vogel/ Jamie Lidell) and, in
another medium, Jamie Crofts/Sonja Todd's subversive cross-stitch (see:
http://www.sewkits.co.uk/ and  http://www.thisisj.me.uk/. very funny,
these.)

Here the artist has to do more than merely take from the medium to begin
their creation of something new , but like an ethnomethologist, try to
understand what is at play in the genre and hence, as with all cases of an
attempted overcoming/emancipation, the work runs the risk of being taken for
the very thing they attempt to subvert. Kinda like a Hegelian difference
effect threatening to tug them back into the system they are attempting to
escape from. So how to escape being folded back into the same? I guess this
involves something like an intensification of style/idiom/signature - to
cultivate non-dialectical difference. I dunno. Help Tobias?

Anyway, got me thinking again.
best wishes,
David
(Brighton, UK)>