Re: [microsound] Concert and field recording: MD a good idea?

Guillaume

>The only drawback of the minidisc solution seems to be that there is
>currently no way (thanks Sony) to transfer the contents of a MD using
>digital out: it seems that the USB port that equips most newer models can
>only be used to transfer music FROM the computer to the minidisc unit.

almost any fullsize MD player has normal digital outs which can be used
to transfer your audio. of course, this requires you buying two MD decks
then-- a portable and a desktop. another option would be a professional
quality portable MD, like this one:
http://www.proaudioreview.com/par/april01/HHB-MDP500-Portadisc-web.shtml
but at almost a grand and a half, that's not too reasonable.... maybe
there is a cheaper model, but the cheapest i've seen is about 800 EUR
[on sale, at that!]

>Also, any ideas on good, not too expensive microphones to be used in the
>situations I described (concert, field recording)

further inquiries are best researched in the archivies of the
phonography list on Yahoo.

best,
derek