From: s'agita recordings [mailto:mothra@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 23 April 2003 12:00
To: microsound
Subject: [personal] Re: [microsound] DRONES

this may help ...

>From The Webster's Dictionary
Displaying Items 1 through 5
Definitions

----

Drone (v. i.) v. i.
  1. The male of bees, esp. of the honeybee. It gathers no honey. See
Honeybee.
  2. One who lives on the labors of others; a lazy, idle fellow; a
sluggard.
  3. That which gives out a grave or monotonous tone or dull sound; as:
(a) A drum. [Obs.] Halliwell. (b) The part of the bagpipe containing the
two lowest tubes, which always sound the key note and the fifth.
  4. A humming or deep murmuring sound.
  5. A monotonous bass, as in a pastoral composition.

----
----

Droned (imp. & p. p.) imp. & p. p.
  1. of Drone

----
----

Drone (n.) n.
  1. To utter or make a low, dull, monotonous, humming or murmuring
sound.
  2. To love in idleness; to do nothing.

----
----

Drone bee
  1. The male of the honeybee; a drone.

----
----

Drone fly
  1. A dipterous insect (Eristalis tenax), resembling the drone bee. See
Eristalis.

----
----

Dronepipe (n.) n.
  1. One of the low-toned tubes of a bagpipe.