Re: [microsound] //Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

regarding Linux and copyright/digital rights on the hardware side, i
think the example of the LinuXBox is an important one:

Micro$oft did everything they could to keep people from realizing the
possibilities of what an XBox really is: a 733 MHz computer with an
adequate graphics system and halfway decent soundcard. it was made to be
a game system which would only play corperately-licensed entertainment
software. it wouldn't even read an burned CDR! this kind of hardware
lockage is similar to the kind of hardware-based "digital rights
management" schemes you will see in the near future from all the major
market players.

the Linux hackers made quite a game out of defeating one after the other
of these protection schemes. the result was an operating system for a
piece of relatively cheap hardware [+/- $200] which could run a number
of sophisticated sound and image processing applications under Linux.
just a couple weeks ago, I saw a demo by Johannes Taelman of Belgium,
where he had converted an XBox running Linux and a webcam into a very
nice little motion-sensor with visual and audio output.

see:
http://allserv.rug.ac.be/~jtaelman/articles/x__y/index.html
for more info.

put simply, the more kinds of successful hacks and outright debunking of
proprietary systems which take away people's rights to a product they
have already paid for [i.e. hardware systems], the more people will see
that there is an alternative to the kind of money-grubbing and
definitely user-UNfriendly shit that windoze and mac users have to deal
with on a daily basis.

[by this i mean all the software you ever "stole" buggy + cracked
versions of--because otherwise it cost $1000!, all the nag screens you
"ignore", the dongles you do or don't actually use and lose, the lost
passwords and massive "secret key" files, the "extra bonus" software and
spyware that comes with just about any "free" program you find these
days, the pop-up advertisements when you just want to play a song, or
the inability to sucessfully transfer some type of digital media from
one machine to another... the list of infringments on YOUR digital
rights goes on and on and on... whether or not you install Linux as the
solution to these problems is entirely up to you, of course. but please
let me know if there is another one :-) ][/end "religeous" rant]

best,
Derek