Re: [microsound] OT - good essays on science fiction?

>From: graham <grahammiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>i'm particularly interested in the ways in
>which people began to think of the Future as something quite different
>and distinct than their own present, the compression of time, the
>acceleration of history, that sort of thing, depending on how one look's
>at it. there's a lot of stuff dealing with specific works, but nothing
>in general, about how and why sci-fi came into being... any help or
>suggestions here would really appreciated!

I can't point you to any specific essays but Melies' Trip to the Moon must
be the first sci-fi film and Jules Verne probably one of the earliest sci-fi
writers.  It could also be argued that the Hebrew legend of Golem is some of
the earliest sci-fi.  Searching for those sorts of things should give you
some leads about the origins of the genre.  You also might want to look into
Jung and the relation between modern UFO sightings and earlier angel
sightings.  Sci-fi of course being tied to the rise of science and in some
ways becoming a popular replacement for mysticism.