Re: [microsound] OT - good essays on science fiction?

This is a huge area to dig into. I used to teach Science Fiction at U of
Colorado at Boulder. A good fiction anthology is Eric Rabkin's _Science
Fiction: A Historical Anthology_. He points to early works by Cyrano de
Bergerac (1657), Swift's _Gulliver's Travels_ (1726), and Voltaire, before the
field takes off in the 19th century. A couple of critical books to look for
are Brian Aldiss's _Billion Year Spree: The True History of Science Fiction_
and _Age of Wonders_ by David Hartwell. Otherwise, most of the books I'm aware
of are going to concentrate on modern and postmodern era SF.

-=trace