RE: [microsound] Project Proposal: The Matrix-wewoaded

> > It would be easier to manage if we started with a single file of the
> > vid, and then each artist just added soundtrack. That way you'd know
> > the vid was always in the same format etc. This however does not
> > allow for as much variety in the choice of "scenes" to use.
>
> if there was a way to get the soundtrack split into mx, dx and fx then all
> one would have to do is replace the mx track...no? is this sort of thing
> made available via the web? i.e. a multi-track version in QT?
> also, I would suggest having people work on *scenes* and not arbitrary
> length of video
> just my 0.02

Agreed though I just want to point out in an actual work situation the
composer actually doing the score almost never gets the luxury of
anything like finished/isolated dialog and effects elements. Those
elements are probably still in the works (unless an inprogress temp mix
was pulled). The composer generally just gets the production sound the
(picture) editor was using so the composer of course knows what the
dialog is.

Obviously if the end goal is to mabe a sound and image simulation of a
scene with a replaced score someone is going  need the isolated dialog
and fx to do the final mix, though the composer would not be hands on
doing that (probably to their consternation but that's how it is and
thats why composers work with stems). I don't know I would guess one
might possibly simulate a not too off the mark situation by muting out
any existing music or just doing a dialog-less scene.

> we'll experiment around with different compression schemes to get the
> best quality/filesize ratio before posting them.

Just seems logical that if one can score to quicktime one could use
whatever method they used to view stuff with a separate music track. I
guess while having dozens of files of the sound and image combined from
various people is ideal for someone not involved with doing it
themselves, the amount of repeated image data in multiple
submissionsprobably adds up to something pretty hefty.

> NOTE 1,2,3,4....12:

ouch! sounds like notes for a term paper. Wonder if all that
philosophy/backstory helps or hurts doing something inspired.

nicholas d. kent

cellars of krell liveset online
http://www.artskool.biz/jem/ndkent/2_27_03_show.html