Re: [microsound] powerbook rule of thumb

A point of possible note here is that I have found that about 20% of the time I get humm only if the power supply is NOT plugged in.  Normally I do exactly what Kim is suggesting and unplug power to the laptop during the set. Every once in a while, though, things get bad when I plug in the power supply.

V~

> > John, my laptop is really bad in this respect, headphones or line out. I
> found that the relatively inexpensive "Hum Eliminator" by EBTECH worked
for
> live stuff, when I want two lines out. Otherwise, I have to run off the
> battery to avoid the hum.

always juice up your laptop before a set and remember to unplug the AC
just
before your performance and run off batteries (this is - of course -
determined by your set length vs battery life)...the hum - especially on
older Powerbooks - is unacceptable for performance when juicing up the
battery...I have found very little hum while using the iMic and I have the
AC plugged in...