Re: [microsound] Classical music is booming, contrary to the pessimism of most inthe business

You are very right.  An earlier post of mine (alternative performance
devices) was basically a rant about how no matter what you do people have
to open up or there wil be no spark.  Creating a circuit is not an easy
task.

As far as being pretentious, I agree.  I sound pretentious.  I was
attempting to subvert a paradigm there.  "being pretentious about not
being pretentious" sort of thing.  The truth is, I try and listen to
anything that is put to my ear openly.  I think I said earlier something
about how pretentious musicians should have their hands cut off :)

> some of it, maybe a lot of it, may not be stuff you want to listen to
> right now. but it was made by someone probably a lot like you in certain
> respects. a person, with some sound skills, trying to make the music
> that excites them.

Entirely accurate.  That doesn't make it any less boring.  Not that many
people like the music I make and I rarely do myself.  I keep doing it
because every once and awhile I feel like I'm saying something to myself
and if I mold it and shape it just a little then other people might be
able to hear it too.  I have great compassion for fellow musicians.  I
respect the time and energy that anyone puts forth to create rather than
destroy but just because someone spent a lot of time on something doesn't
mean it's particularly meaningful.  It may be more interesting than a
giant twine ball but it shares the same fleeting amusement and little
else.

How many performances have changed your life?  Made you think differently?
or inspired you to create, share, love or even dance? I can think of two
such performances and I consider myself lucky.  I think of it like being a
paramedic: if you save just one life then it is worth it but damn, it's a
depressing job.