Re: [microsound] laptop audio interfaces?

on 6/2/03 8:44 AM, graham miller at grahammiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have an older mac G3 laptop available now for music use (the black one
> with the upside-down apple logo when opened) and i'm wondering what my
> options are for a soundcard/audio breakout box. ideally i'd like
> something with an integrated MIDI in/out as well with at least a pair of
> stereo outs (4 pairs would be nice too). my main computer has a MOTU
> 2408/mk II. could i use this somehow if i found the proper PCI card for
> my laptop? i'm not even sure if my laptop has room for a card... any
> help would be highly appreciated!
>
> thanks
>
> graham

I've also have an "Wallstreet" and a 2408mkII setup.  I utilize
a Magma 7 slot PCI expansion chasis.  It connects to the lap top
via the CD-Rom drive slot. (which I'd be interested in selling
the Magma)

There is for sure at least one PC Card slot audio device out
there (can't remember the name) but I believe it was a little
quirky.

You might want to look into a Firewire or USB device and get
PC Card adapters for your lappy. (So when you get a newer
computer your hardware will still work).  But there may
be issues with the FW/USB PC cards not performing well.
A friend of mine was able to get the Roland USB - audio/mixer/
midi controller device to work with the USB PC card on
a Wallstreet lappy.

THe problem is that most devices out there are not being
designed for the older model mac's out there.

good luck

kerry