Re: [microsound] white geeks on jazz

On 6/3/03 at 2:10 PM, Kim Cascone <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> laptop + jazz is not a bad comparison in some ways. but
> >> maybe problematic, in that (for me) jazz is so thoroughly
> >> rooted in the experience of being Black in America, and it
> >> may be a mistake to think of the music apart from that.
>
> I think you are missing the point here...the comparison of
> laptop music was made to jazz in order to define its
> 'use-value' as improvisational listening music...this issue
> doesn't really confine itself within racial barriers...?

True, but in this context Derek Bailey chose to title his 1980 book
"Improvisation" and not "Jazz."

I'm curious Kim, how strongly you correlate "laptop music" with
improvisation. Does the portability of the tool suggest it? Or would you
go so far as to disallow the notion of through-composed "laptop music?"

Best,

Tad

<tad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>