Re: [microsound] jazz and race

On 6/3/03 at 5:55 PM, Data General <btausig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I really do think that electronic music is, culturally,
> entirely comparable to what jazz was in the United States in
> the early 20th century.

How so? I'm sure you could manage this on a selective basis, but you'd
be leaving out some big issues, like minstrelsy and the Jim Crow laws.

Don't forget that Woodrow Wilson segregated the Federal office
buildings upon his election (Duke Ellington's father worked for the
Department of the Navy) and spoke favorably about D. W. Griffith's
"Birth of a Nation" after a private screening at the White House...

Best,

Tad

<tad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>