Re: [microsound] white geeks on jazz

>It's hopefully clear with the folk music analogy that someone is trying
>to be toungue in cheek.

I never do this, and advise against it for fear of biting it off. the
laptop can be a folk instrument. the folk distinction is in fact a
class distinction, but perhaps not accurately so. "folk" as "people"
is a bit broad too... since people make all sorts of music and it
gets called all sorts of things depending on where you are standing.
some kids in a small village in africa jamming on gourds and
stretched skins... what are they playing? "world music"? i doubt
that's what they'd call it... in fact a few hours from this village,
a well-educated man at the university studying music might call it
something more akin to "folk".

"folk art" was/is generally considered "outsider art" where ( among
other distinctions) the practitioner has no formal training in what
is considered the accepted avenues of cultural production and works
with whatever materials are on hand. these artists may be physically
outside of the culture which has deemed their work "outsider" (which
was the case with Art Brut and the "art of the savages") or only
mentally so as in the case of psychotic individuals (which was the
original inspiration for the Art Brut distinction by Dubuffet). folk
art fights against what art brut artist Roger Cardinal describes
as..."that force which feeds on blind obedience, fidelity to
stereotypes, the denial of spontaneity, the repression of
individualism and experimentation." The "enemy" in question here is
academy art, and gallery- controlled avant garde.

just as many artists used the "primitive arts" as inspiration for
their more culturally and academically acceptable productions, so too
does the academic music world feed on the output of laptop folk
musicians... although some would be remiss to admit it... likewise
the distinction of the folk artist as "uninformed" with regards to
the current practice within the ivory towers of academia is somewhat
inaccurate as well, since many of the tools and technologies used in
their own practice have been "liberated" from the confines of these
institutions... albeit sans the baggage of rigid adherence to any
formal approaches to cultural production.

>Finally, out of the context of toungue in cheek statements, I might add
>that over the years I've often seen and heard a thread of desire to link
>some "new" art with something well accepted. What can elevate it to
>concern is so often it seems to reflect a worry that the medium or
>context that one has chosen to work in can't fully function
>freestanding, it needs some kind of stated reinforcement refering to
>other art that is already perceived in a good light, a sort of standing
>on the coat tails effect. Saying that sort of thing tends to really
>trumpet a defficiency if it comes across with hubris.

to me it is more of an attempt to grant a point of entry to
individuals who may not have any points of reference. for instance, i
gave a co-worker  a CD of some of my stuff. a couple of days later
she came tome looking very confused. she told she really liked some
of it, but could not place it, had no vocabulary for even discussing
it, and asked if this was what people called "ambient"... i just said
"sure". my intent was not to enhance my own works impact by
associating it with the lineage of "ambient" music, but to merely
give this person a place to begin their own thread of investigation.
i also told her i thought of it as "folk music", and she laughed
(being a singer-songwriter kind of gal herself).
--
CommTom
Communications of Tomorrow

unique electronic music for the adventurous ear.
http://www.commtom.com