Re: [microsound] pater

Kim Cascone wrote:

>> written like someone who has never listened to Anthony Shakir, or 'Shake.'

> heard 'Tracks for My Father' a couple of years ago but not sure what that or
> he has to do with this discussion...

This discussion is about the lack of artists of color making 'glitch,' or
'microsound' type music.  Shake is african-american and has been working
with glitch-y ideas since the early 90's, arguably even the late '80s.
But because he presents his experiments in a soulful context, it doesn't
count.  I want to know why.  It counts for Luomo, doesnt it?

> > context is everywhere.
> brilliant! ;)

!

It's important for all of us cultural observers to be open to the idea
that there is always more than one way to achieve something, i.e.
contextual similarities across geographic/cultural boundaries.  Just
because musicians of color aren't using laptops in live performances,
doesn't mean they aren't working in parallel contexts to those who are.
Rather than lamenting the lack of experimental musicians of color, I think
we should recognize those who exist.  Such recognition for many is long
overdue.