Re: [microsound] SONY's idea of the future of music

> something scary like the music machines in logans run
> or buck roger$.

I remember some learning kit company had this set of magnetic blocks,
probably german made. You'd use them on a metal tray, probably providing
both grounding and something to stick the blocks to. The blocks
contained simple electronic components and their schematic symbols were
drawn on top. They had metal contacts on the sides just like the sony
ones. So you could make some simple circuits like with a bunch of them.
I'm pretty sure there was a little earphone or a lightbulb to provide
some kind of output.

That was like 30 years ago. I guess that's older than those logan's
runners in the giant shopping mall ever got to be.

> --- Peter Luining <email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/IL/projects/blockjam/index.html
> >
> > also have a look at the nice demo movie
> >
> http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/IL/projects/blockjam/downloads/BlockJam_0.mov

random comments:

Surprised Toshio Iwai wasn't in on this. I guess sony wanted it all in-house.

 The samples used are seem to be the kawaii factor. I wonder what went
into choosing them? Someone thought they'd be non-threatening? It's a
pet interest of mine with algorithmic music. While interface and the
algorithm get studied the choice of the set of timbres & pitches that is
chosen is so much more crucial than most people showing off their
results want to admit to when it comes to the overall impression of
something algorithmic.

nicholas d. kent