Re: [microsound] Introduction [radio astronomy + experimental audio]

hi thomas

and welcome aboard! you are perhaps the only other member of the Society
of Amateur Radio Astronomers [SARA] mailing list that i have ever seen
post here :-) i recall some emails shot back and forth when i was
considering a natural radio/field recording expedition to New Mexico.
sadly, i never made it over to north amerika, and you had moved east
anyway... still getting good reception???

this cross-over between experimental audio and radio astronomy seems a
very fertile one. the Acoustic.Space.Lab project, based around a 32m
fully steerable parabolic dish antenna in Latvia, got me started on my
own explorations. and then, of course, there are the works of Joe
Banks/Disinformation, Stephen McGreevey, Joyce Hinterding, and many
others who have interested themselves in the electromagnetic emissions
of planets and stars. like your Jupiter recordings, many of these works
are somewhat more "documentary" than musical: they present largely
unaltered field recordings of various natural phenomenon.

i am also very interested in ways in which the captured information of
the radio observations can be left more-or-less intact, but can also be
explored for various informational AND acoustic properties. one thing
that immediately renders the recordings "useless" [scientifically] is
the mp3 compression. a NZ/UK group called radioqualia just got awarded
no small sum of cash to do a project with the dish in Latvia based on
broadcasting "space sounds" over the internet. so far, however, their
idea doesn't seem to take into account that anyone would want to
reconstruct real observations from their broadcast. the lack of a
universal time code and the fact that they hope to step down emissions
from the Gigaherz range to an audible hiss of white noise ensures that
their work will remain an arty curiosity [much like their "Radio Free
Linux" project, which broadcasted text-to-speech conversions of the
Linux source code], rather than a way in which other artists and
scientists could actually gain remote access to this powerful tool.

interesting paradox, don't you think? trying to retain the real data
contained in these radio recordings, while at the same time present them
as artistic works. let me know your thoughts on this. and do keep us up
to date on how your own investigations are coming!

best wishes,
derek
http://acoustic.space.re-lab.net/lab