RE: Re: [microsound] LA places to go

Hey, we got some great presentation ideas this month from people on
LA Geek list. Thanks! We're having a meeting of the Los Angeles Art
and Technology Hackers Club this Sunday at 8pm. It's going to be an
electronic music/performance extravaganza! We've got circuit bending,
data gloves on crack, and real time multimedia processing (among
other treats). Here's the announcement, please pass it along.

----------------------

The Los Angeles Art and Technology Hacker Club will be meeting at
c-level this Sunday July 6th at 8pm.

Schedule:

1) Meeting announcements

2) Albert Ortega will do a demo/presentation on circuit bending.
"Using Misfired chips to produce music. A simple voice sample can
produce a plethora of tones and beats using the simplest of tactile
methods."

3) Sean Rooney will talk about "Casket", a live laptop music/video performance
and installation system he developed with designer Yoshi Sodeoka
(http://www.c404.tv/products/casket). Casket allows us to control video, 3-d
environments and motion graphics being run on one computer from an audio
signal processing program on another computer. He'll also spend a few
minutes talking Casket's ancestor "Prototype #38"
(http://www.whitney.org/artport/gatepages/february02.shtml), an art project
created for Artport, the Whitney Museum of American Art's Web art portal in
February 2002. The project is a custom Web application designed to monitor
the flow of an unseen tide of spirituality that resonates throughout the
Internet. The application scans search engine queries for spiritual terms,
which when found, trigger sound and animation.

4) Clay Chaplin will talk about Stupid Thing, a wireless interactive
computer performance instrument. He will explain how Stupid Thing
works, talk about programming for ST, and do a brief demo with sound.
http://shoko.calarts.edu/~cchaplin/audio/Stupid_Thing1.jpg
http://shoko.calarts.edu/~cchaplin/audio/Stupid_Thing2.jpg

5) Free form mingling and problem solving for those who brought
stuff, working or non.

The Los Angeles Art and Technology Hacker Club is an open group
formed for people interested in doing cool things with electronics.
All levels of experience are welcome to attend and participate. The
group meets at 8pm, the first Sunday of the month, At c-level, in
Chinatown Los Angeles. To sign up for the discussion and announcement
list, visit

http://www.c-level.cc/classes/hackerclub.html

---------------------------

Directions to c-level:

  1. Find yourself in front of "FULL HOUSE RESTAURANT" located at 963
     N. Hill Street in Chinatown.
  2. Locate the alley on the left hand side of Full House.
  3. Walk about 20 feet down the alley (away from the street).
  4. Stop.
  5. Notice dumpster on your right hand side.
  6. Take a right and continue down the alley.
  7. Exercise caution so as not trip on the wobbly cement blocks underfoot.
  8. The entrance to C-Level is located 10 yards down on left side, behind
      a red door, and down a black staircase.

for more information email info@xxxxxxxxxx or visit http://www.c-level.cc

--
albert ortega