re: the Cage fire...

Regarding Cage and records, am I missing something? His latter body of
compositions usually relied heavily on indeterminacy.  Anyone could make
a pretty strong point that manufactured recordings of works relying on
indeterminacy pretty much negate that concept as a listening experience
barring some gimmick. On the other hand quite a few of his works
including a substantial body of earlier material function more or less
as standard classical music without mitigating factors.

> He also said that the only 2 truths he learned at midlife were that the Sun
> and orange juice were bad for you, though I'm sure he's ventured outside
> from time to time.

Well from what I've always heard, in later life he wound up in terrible
physical shape while living and eating as most people do. He took Yoko
Ono's diatary advice and probably added about 2 decades to his life

And for what it's worth Duchamp did not play chess professionally, he
taught chess lessons to students like Cage professionally.

nicholas d. kent
catch my "is this laptop?" performance at the placard festival NYC on
the 17th
for a prior example:
http://www.artskool.biz/jem/ndkent/2_27_03_show.html