[no subject]

i think the perhaps the person who told me this meant he had one of the
largest discographies of any 20th century composer. who knows if that little
factoid could still stand up in court. anyways, the point was that he was
alive while most of these records came out, so he had to actively condone
the reproduction of his work... hence the seeming contradiction between his
actions and his statements.

>Cage's stance on records and his hypocrisy in having
>so many in his catalog is so Cage-ian- contradictory, dada, and not taking
>himself too seriously. If Cage -really- felt them to be worthless, he'd
>never have made them. One does need to eat and pay the rent though.

i agree - from hearing the stories he tells it appears he was very much a
working composer, living from commission to commission. he probably did
whatever he had to to make ends meet. (that's how his work with the prepared
piano apparently began - there was only enough room for a piano for a dance
performance, he had 2 or 3 days to write the music, but they needed drum
sounds, so....). but the video was done i think in the early 80s, and he was
getting on towards the end of his life so maybe he had changed his viewpoint
on things by that point. he was probably also in a much better position to
make such a statement. it would be interesting to see if he ever did have a
period in his output where he was still composing steadily but recordings of
his work (by him and not by other artists) simply stopped or slowed down.
are there any cage scholars on the list who can confirm whether cage was
just paying lip-service to a noble idea or if he actually followed through?

>I think his comments on records were not to be taken -too- literally.

interestingly enough, the particular moment on the video where he states
this is extremely memorable to me because it's the one moment in the whole
60 minutes where he gets very livid and nearly jumps down the throat of one
of the questioners who has just stated "but listening to records can be very
useful " - cage speaks very matter of factly to present his argument and
seems to take the matter very seriously. just because he's a funny fellow
sometimes doesn't mean we can just write off certain statements that he's
made. and the tone of his statement is one that resounds throughout his
work. he also wrote or stated something like "the music i find most
interesting is that which i haven't yet heard," which goes right along with
this more extreme notion of not-listening-to-records. i find what he says
there to be a very interesting and possibly profound observation, especially
as our lives are consumed with the viewing of more and more
media-out-time-and-context. of course he doesn't say, Don't listen to
recordings, or Don't make recordings. he just says that he's very content
with not listening to them, and would be interested in having other people
be more interested in a life without records.

>He also said that the only 2 truths he learned at midlife were that the Sun
>and orange juice were bad for you, though I'm sure he's ventured outside
>from time to time.

>; )
>
>Peter

i didn't realize i was living on the edge every morning with a nice glass of
oj, but i guess i balance that with staying up late and spending a lot of
daylight hours inside checking email

later
adam