Re: [microsound] music software for blind people (OT?)

hi list,

maybe airfx from korg could be a nice live-application.
ok, its not software, but playing live with a pc is not easy (crashes etc..)
just an idea.
a friend of me used it live, connected to a laptop.
If you have any further questions, I could ask him.

greetings
Sascha

> Von: "Tim Mortimer" <tmortimer@xxxxxxxxx>
> Datum: 2003/07/16 Mi AM 06:22:35 CEST
> An: "microsound" <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Betreff: [microsound] music software for blind people (OT?)
>
> hi
>
> i have a (newish) friend. he's blind.
>
> he used to make music using a rack mount EPS 16+ sampler & a Yamaha MIDI wind instrument controller thingy... & he plays tin
whistles & percussion also...

> he now has a PC however. he is running Windows XP & something calls JAWS which enables him to navigate around the menu's
using voice identification of the menu items etc.

> quite simply, i rave at him incessantly about things like Reaktor & MAX MSP & i'm sure he's very interested (he's quite involved in the
arts in general, & he has a sound installation project in the pipeline involving other disadvantaged/ disabled people.. but to get back to the
immediate question...)

> what kind of software (if any?) is available for him to use? Sonar & Cool Edit both interface with Jaws (apparently) but for starters /
beginners sake, is there any simple, easy to operate sound design/ synthesis/ sample editing/ midi sequencing/ recording software that
has been specifically made for use by blind people in mind?

> Even a simple "granulab" or  whatever would get his attention im sure, if he, as a blind person, was able to operate & navigate the
menu's... (in fact a series of freeware/ shareware "1 task only" standalone apps could be the ideal in this situation - i don't think he's
going to be much cop at wiring together Reaktor patches for example...& learning an all inclusive total sound design app is hard enough
for me, & i can see! & poke around in my computer to get things working when they are not...he doesn't really have that luxury at the
moment...)

> so any links or further information would be most welcome.
>
> (needless to say, longer term i am interested to see what comes out of my collaboration with this chap in terms of alternate strategies
of sound manipulation, controller interfaces etc for blind/ disabled people, & the potential for existing apps like Max or whatever to create
Patches or Apps with this "target demographic" in mind....)