Re: [microsound] Parmegiani in Sydney

Dale:
>I still haven't figured out what a performance
consisting of "mixing stereo from a single CD" into 8 channels means,
other than just channeling a single stereo signal out 4 times. And then
what? Tweaking the EQ on each channel? Could you (or anyone else)
possibly elaborate further or surmise a guess? <

Known as 'diffusion', this is how many stereo electroacoustic works are
presented in concert. You're right, the stereo signal is sent identically to
many pairs of speakers (an 'orchestra of loudspeakers') which (typically)
encircle the audience, but the diffuser is able to control the levels, eq,
etc of the speakers in real-time--- each speaker has a corresponding fader
on a mixing desk. If you're good on the mixing console, you can make the
sound sweep from the front of the room to the back, or in circles around the
audience, etc, by adjusting the levels of the faders. This description is a
bit simplified, and there's a lot of theorizing about diffusion- see e.g.
Jonty Harrison's article:

http://cec.concordia.ca/econtact/Diffusion/Beast.htm

Parmegiani (at least when I've seen him) is very subtle in diffusion, just
slight adjustments to levels to set one section off from another, no THX f/x
that I could hear.

best,
Ian

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger