Re: [microsound] about the klanghausen project...

------=_NextPart_000_B7B3_01C356E0.55A47490

Would it be possible for someone to scan the relevant page from
_Microsound_ and post it somewhere? It might give people some idea of
the inspiration for the project.

Stockhausen's _Kontakte_ was made with impulses triggering events in
other circuits in a "classical" analog studio. I think this project is
intended as something like a digital reworking of the original idea. On
a technical level, that's about all there is to it. The rest is up to
the composer.

A pulse train, IIRC, is a regular or variable series if pulses.
Depending on their frequency, they can be heard as a rhythm (if <20 Hz)
or a "tone" (if> 20 Hz). You can also play with the boundary between
rhythm and tone, which is something that _Kontakte_ does a lot, and
which Stockhausen wrote about, in, for example, "...time passes when..."
and "The Unity of Musical Time". Frequency is just audio-rate rhythm.
Rhythm is sub-audio frequency. Even timbre (in the sense of spectrum) is
a superimposition of audio-rate rhythms ("frequencies"). It's at the
impulse (i.e., micro-) level that these relationships between the time
domains and frequency domains become perhaps most apparent.

Blah blah blah.

Does this help at all?

Phil