Re: [microsound] [OT] hiphop article (fwd)

> And finally, it seems like the writer went to great lengths to prove his
> bigotry to be valid.

Hmmm... Does it matter that the author is Black?

> I mean, jesus: "Hip Hop creates nothing"?!?  the author clearly is a
> retard.

...and has a doctorate in linguistics, and is teaching at Berkely, and has
done years of research on the subject of representation and race in
language? (see:
http://www.linguistics.berkeley.edu/lingdept/Current/people/facpages/mcwhorter.html
) I think that some of you are taking him a little too
lightly--maybe this article deserves a closer read and some reasoned
criticism.

Alright, sure... he's being polemic to make a point.  And the article is
written for a mass-market publication, rather than a scholarly journal.
But in reducing the authors' argument to "the imagery presented in hip-hop
culture is the sole reason for racism and the plight of blacks in society
today"  is to grossly oversimplify a more subtle and complex argument.

-Michael

--
Michael Arnold Mages
mailto:marnoldm@xxxxxx