Re: [microsound] [OT] hiphop article - do yourself a favour and read anything by tricia rose/kodwo eschun

...and actually listen to some genuinely brilliant hip hop. comparing
commercial rap music with its underground antithesis is no different than
lumping s club 7 together with the beatles. they're both british, right?

graham.

http://www.triciarose.com/

Black Noise: Rap Music and Black Culture in Contemporary America Wesleyan
University
                                    Press, 1994

"Cultural Survivalisms and Marketplace Subversions: Black Popular Culture and
Politics into the
                                    21st Century", in Joseph Adjaye ed.,
Language, Rhythm and Sound: Black Popular Cultures into
                                    the 21st Century, University of
Pittsburgh Press, 1997.