Re: [microsound] [OT] hiphop article

Scott Carver wrote:

>More problematic, though: misogyny and homophobia are
>present, and remain largely uncriticised, in the work of even the most
>respected and "progressive" hip-hop musicians.

To play devil's advocate a bit, the same can be said of mainstream pop.
I still find it amusing that "He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss)" and
"Maybe I Mean Yes" were both yanked off their respective albums in their
times, while "(Hit Me Baby) One More Time" just got a title change.

I don't hear anyone up in arms about Britney Spears. (At least, not for
her domestic abuse content).

(And for the record, Tobias, to get back on my normal side of this coin:
(a) I wouldn't necessarily describe Michael Moore as a humbug, but it's
amazing what you can do with good editing software, and (b) we have
eighty years of American history behind us showing us that throwing
money at problems-- in THIS coulntry, at least-- does not solve them,
and the vast majority of that history shows that the money makes them
worse... but those two discussions are way too far off the topic, and if
you want me to go into long and nauseating detail, drop me a line
offlist and I'll respond when I get back from the daily family
function... however long that will last. gack.)