RE: [microsound] Max/MSP for Windows

> 1. pluggo - being able to turn your patches into plugins is pretty
> super.  (not finished yet for OS X or Windows, but coming soon)

Not in PD that I'm aware of.

> 2. standalones - being able to turn your patches into distributable
> applications is pretty super.  (ala everyone's good friend
> twerk)  (not
> finished yet for Windows but coming soon)

Check out STREAPS (http://radiomatic.org/streaps) for a decent example
of how this has been (pseudo-) done with PD.

> 3. jitter - although video is the natural application, matrix-based
> processing is useful in all sorts of audio contexts

For Windows-based machines, there is Framestein
(http://www.framestein.org) and for both Windows and Linux there is GEM
(http://www.iem.at/pd/).

> 4. midi - if like me you still use hardware it's nice to use all of
> max's great midi processing tools

I don't really use the MIDI features of Max or PD much, so I can't say
anything in-depth, but you *can* send/receive/route MIDI events in PD.

> 5. user interface - there are many very nice UI objects in max.  even
> if you're interested purely in DSP you still need friendly widgets to
> tweak the parameters

Agreed.  In my mind, both have a ways to go in this regard, but there
are many alternatives that have already been mentioned.

> so anyway, that's my guess... and that's where the software
> is now, not
> where it is going.  lots of interesting curves ahead!
> ben

Can't wait, looking forward to it!

Chris

---