Re: [microsound] Max/MSP for Windows

ben nevile wrote:
> > I cannot think of a process/instrument that can be done with MSP and
> > cannot
> > with PD.
>
> strictly in terms of signal processing you may be right - after all,
> MSP and PD are close relatives.  is there a solid poly~ object in PD?
> (poly~ enables multiple instantiated internal patches, downsampling and
> upsampling, automatic voice allocation and DSP management, etc.)  i
> don't keep up with the latest in PD dev, but I would guess that some of
> the differences between software platforms are

nqpoly abstraction from... (ask me if you really want me to dig that out).
Haven't actually used one but multiple instantiation and voice allocation are
what this thing exists for.  The nice thing about PD is that you can make a
patch that generates other patches, subpatches etc.

> 1. pluggo - being able to turn your patches into plugins is pretty
> super.  (not finished yet for OS X or Windows, but coming soon)

PD can be run as a jack client (jackit.sf.net) which means that you can send
audio signal from your multitrack (ex. ardour) to PD and back.  You can also
give your jackified PD as many inputs and outputs as you wish or simply start
multiple instances of PD with different patches.  Up to you.

> 2. standalones - being able to turn your patches into distributable
> applications is pretty super.

A number of developers on the PD list have been saying that this would be
quite trivial.  So far I haven't seen any but the PD community doesn't seem
to need standalones, anyways.

> 3. jitter - although video is the natural application, matrix-based
> processing is useful in all sorts of audio contexts

gridflow http://artengine.ca/jmax/ (yes, it does run in PD as well):

"a multi-dimensional dataflow processing library for Ruby and jMax,
specialized in pictures and video."
  And it's free.

> 4. midi - if like me you still use hardware it's nice to use all of
> max's great midi processing tools

A good deal of those has been either ported or cloned.  I don't think PD is
deficient in any  way in that area.

> 5. user interface - there are many very nice UI objects in max.  even
> if you're interested purely in DSP you still need friendly widgets to
> tweak the parameters

Who says I _need_ those.  It's nice to have that option, though.  Still,
pretty guis are possible with GriPD.  However, if the only strong point is
UI, that's pretty weak.

> so anyway, that's my guess... and that's where the software is now, not
> where it is going.  lots of interesting curves ahead!

Obviously, this is beginning to be pointless...  FWIW I don't care if one uses
PD, Max/MSP, CSound, SuperCollider, SSM, MSG, whatever.  However, it is
unfair for those who have to make those choices to be misinformed about one
tool in favor of another.  Each tool has its strengths and
facilitates/requires different working methods.

Congratulations on the Windoz port, though, Cycling'74.
When linux version comes out, I'll give it a 30-day trial.

cheers

-- ./MiS
	      _
      __  __ (_)___   Michal Seta