08/22/03: Rock Star Wesley Willis Dead at 40

08/22/03: Rock Star Wesley Willis Dead at 40
Dear Friends and fellow Wesleynauts,
We are deeply saddened to report that one of our artists, Wesley Willis
passed away yesterday, Thursday, August 21st. Wesley will be greatly
missed by all that had the privilege to know him, as well as the fans
who have been fortunate enough to experience his genius.

Wesley was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) at the end
of 2002, and had to undergo emergency surgery on June 2nd to identify
the source of, and to suppress internal bleeding. It is not clear if
this bleeding was related to his leukemia or not, and the exact cause of
death is still unknown. Wesley had been recovering at a Hospice in
Illinois, and since the surgery his health had deteriorated rapidly.

His songs were simultaneously disturbing, hilarious, blunt, and
intoxicating. Wesley's sheer excitement and unaffected honesty about
every cultural phenomenon, defined his music as truly individual, and
truly punk rock.

Wesley released well over 50 albums - 3 of which are on Alternative
Tentacles, and a 4th, entitled, Wesley Willis Greatest Hits Vol. 3 (CD)
had already been scheduled for release in October of this year.

For more information on Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, please visit