Re: [microsound] protools free

>its not true that the free version for os9 is an advertisement for pt6 for
>os10. they will release a
>free version sooner (i hope!) or later. i'm really happy if i can get rid
>of my digidesign hardware
>(which is a must for protoolsLE aka the "official" version) and work with
>the new free version
>instead. its definetely the most uncomplicated protools app i've ever used.
>a free version for os10 has been announced since pt6 was released.
> - stephan

While its not an advertisement for pt6 it is, however, an advertisement for
their high end TDM systems.  In this way Protools (who many remember as
being dubbed "slo tools") have become, rather unfairly, the industry
standard (though it could be argued that they had already partially
achieved this prior to the free version with a massive advertising
campaign).  The problem is that for people like myself who work in the
training/education sector, it becomes impossible to resist protools'
dominance in the market, so that we have no choice but to buckle under the
pressure and teach the free and LE versions of protools,  instead of going
with the best software available, thus perpetuating the cycle.  This in
turn has led to an apathetic and uninovative approach from protools and
their software has stagnated where other software companies have gone
ahead.  I look forward to version 6 of protools free, only because I find
it absolutely absurd to recommend the teaching of an "industry standard"
sound editing application that has only one level of undo and cannot deal
with stereo files correctly (something taken for granted in DAW software
since 1995!).

But its free! So what more can I say?

end of rant.

Ian Andrews