Re: tech q's

>> i think that tech questions are very relevant. most people on the list who
>> make music/soundart use software as a tool/instrument. i know that i like to
>> know what tools other artists are using and how they are using them.
> yes, but if you read the original mission for this list you'll notice that
> the co-founders set it up for philosophical discourse and not tech-talk and
> trainspotting new releases...while a certain amount of these discussions are
> always to be expected on a digital media list such as this it does tend to
> dominate the bandwidth nowadays...
> IMO: list members gravitate towards the safety of tech/trainspotting
> subjects in fear of debating slippery topics such as aesthetics and
> philosophy and incurring possible unpleasant (and personal) remarks made by
> list members who are better off ignored...so I am not sure how to swing it
> back to its original purpose...ideas?

i agree with this, though it must be said that often the philosophical and
aesthetic aspects of art need both good dialectic skills (and not all of
us are born english speaking), and a massive amount of knowledge, to be
able to bring up different facets of the so slippery subjects (in some
interesting fashion as well).

often people (myself included) tend not to take part in a discussion
if they don't feel that what they know is enough or that it is at a
certain level.

the fountain and droplifting threads were topics where i thought i
could have said something which could have added and not subtracted.

(i've read a lot about duchamp and i know people who have MAs in
history of art, and we have often talked about that famous exhibition
when fountain had been shown)

so i knew what i was saying, only that it takes me so much time to
find the right words. in the end i just gave up, because trying to
make my point more clear just became a useless dialectic game.

people take things too personal (someone on the list already said this,
right?)

still, i feel a little bit akward about what happened with the mail
on reaktor windows vs mac.

i know my fellow colleague (--@dp, we write from the same address
but we're two and we sign differently) was only curious to know
if other people had encountered the same sort of problems.

it was really weird to read such a hasty response.

o. k. it's not a ms topic, but hey, i've been reading for a whole month
about:

.mac osX vs mac os9
.people going on holiday asking for cool stuff to find on site
.plugins and presets not being recalled on shareware versions of softwares
.midi controllers, asio drivers, buffers glitching
.mapping light frequencies on sounds
.max msp for windows XP

and many other things where i really find it hard to see any
philosophy of art, nor any aesthetics.

actually it's all very tech stuff, or am i wrong?
(apart from the holiday ones...)

(and i'm talking about hundreds and hundreds of mails, not just a few)

i think that in the end we all use things (any sort of thing) to make
our so beloved music, which is one of the sources of our so called
philosophical and aesthetic judgements/remarks,
so if we have to set aside any idea/problem/question
regarding the creation process, the modus operandi,
then to me it would feel like taking for granted that things just exist.

it's like not getting your hands dirty.

but, hey, if that's the rule, then be it. but for everyone.

plus, i don't see how the mac vs "pc's" ever existing dilemma can
unleash such personal reactions.

i tend to avoid thinking
that there are people throwing this so "hot" subject to the list
just to laugh at how others react.

in a way however, some people seem to get offended if someone
finds out that something works better on some platforms rather than
on others. how can that touch someone personally, really
it defys my reasoning.

i have no real idea on how to swing it back to the original purpose,
being only two months that dp is on the list, but i wanted to say
something.

i really like this list, and i've learned a lot through it (even through
the tech posts). enough rant. now it's dinner time.

 -l-@dp

partial derivative of a point

http://www.l-ll-l.org