Physical Community was: Potlatch (was concept queens)

Dominic Lanzone wrote:
>>> ok, so who do you consider your community, in terms of your potlatch
>>> society?
>> My reference was loose. In my neighborhood there are many electronic
>> music/media composers and practitioners. We all support each other.
>> When I make something new I like to throw a party, gather round the
>> grill, eat and drink together, listen to or watch the latest material
>> produced and give away copies of said material (if possible). It's
>> kinda like a potlatch, without all the bragging and espousing of
>> ancestral privileges (although the occasional chest pounding is
>> known to occur).
>> In a larger sense... many of us put our work out for free via the
>> net... offerings to the larger community.
> oh ok, that's cool. i like the idea of a micro yard party.
> unfortunately that wouldn't work for me, if i went out and played
> microsoundy stuff for the people where i live, people would think i was a
> big freak. dub might work though.
> eh, anyways, i like the idea. a very human way to deal with electronic
> media. anywhere you have grilling, there will be chest pounding =)

fire does tend to amplify testosterone-based reactions (yes, that's a
professional opinion), but it's no reason not to at least try.

for example, here in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area we have 2 email lists
catering to electronic musicians. one is MSPESP (mspesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and
is very "electronica" and synth-pop oriented, the other is TCEMC
(tcemc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and is much more experimental and "weirdness"
oriented. about 45 members are common to each group... odd, if you think
that no one will tolerate the other genres.

since i'm heading out to SF in late December as my honeymoon, i'll try to
arrange something such as said micro yard party... unless, of course someone
knows of a decent show around then... ;)

love, keith