Re: [microsound] sony

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 badi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> i'm not sure if the artists themselves care, but i would be concerned about
> the gorilla pimps in the midsts...i.e. sony, or any big player like
> this...this is a niche market and a big company like this can operate at a
> loss, they just assert themselves in a market and let the little guy die
> financially...
>
> does this matter to anyone?

I feel a bit odd, since I'm a long-time lurker but a first-time poster, so
here goes...

I'm having trouble seeing what that has to do with anything.  Sure, Sony's
a huge company.  And sure, they could in theory sell their product at a
loss.  But what would it get them?  Name recognition, perhaps.  Maybe
people will buy it, and you'll hear the same samples in a bunch of songs.
But I'm not sure if it will screw anyone over unless they somehow legally
*controlled* the process of making microsound.  It may or may not be good
for the resultant art that uses these samples, but I suspect that's an
orthogonal issue.

rob