Re: re-era

> one thing is referencing other people's works, or being inspired by them.
> another thing is literally using their work to build your own work, in my
> opinion. There is a lot missing in terms of exploration, control and usage
> of tools.

don't we live in the re-make era? (of movies, of songs [covers, remixes]
and of art in general)

think about richard hamilton re-doing the large glass and having
duchamp signing it.

think about pierre menard "author of the Quixote".

i have no strong opinion on this cd for sonic foundry
(meaning, neither good nor bad).

it's nothing new and i can see why some people might want/need
something like that.

if you plan to place a trombone in a song of yours and have no
clue on how to play one, what would you do?

i'd either have a friend play it for me, or sample one from a
recording and then change it up, for copyright and personal
reasons.

if there's no copyright, one might not even want to change it.

there's no way i can see this being harmful in any sense.
bjork, radiohead, and many others have already brought glitches
and all the rest in the mainstream.

not much has changed.

this cd by j. frede won't change much either
(apart from his personal experience)

if i had been asked to do something like that i would have never
refused. it's probably one of the funniest things to think that
you're making loops for other people's use...

> although building the vocal chords from scratch is totally
> unnecesary, understanding the process that led to the sounds on the loop
> cd (for example) could definetly give anyone the benefit of a knowledge
> and perspective on what the process is all about. learn the rules to break
> them.

agreed. though breaking the rules is not always necessary.

one last thing: i've been reading about this loop cd on every
frede's post since a while (meaning: it's been in his mails from
quite a while a go).
why is everyone so keen on this just suddenly now?

 -l-@dp

partial derivative of a point

http://www.l-ll-l.org