Re: [microsound] WTO--not a glitch cd on sf--is the concern (was re: SNY)

--0-399013815-1062622635=:21662

Think Powell Powell Productions ltd.

http://www.mediareform.net/

this is important - just imagine if all you had to watch listen to and read is FOX news.

andrewduke@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:54:42 -0700, badi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> i'm not sure if the artists themselves care, but i
> would be concerned about
> the gorilla pimps in the midsts...i.e. sony, or any
big
> player like
> this...this is a niche market and a big company like
> this can operate at a
> loss, they just assert themselves in a market and let
> the little guy die
> financially...
>
> does this matter to anyone?

***i didn't intend on replying to anything in this sny
thread, despite all the things that have been thrown
about that i wanted to offer my 2 cents on, but it
seems to be getting so twisted now (start point: a list
member is involved in a glitch-ey sample cd that will
be released on sonic foundry, a company which was
recently acquired by sny; current perceived point: sny
is taking over the world and threatening our lil'
mcrsnd list) that i'll jump in.

j. frede has not just produced a song for britney
spears or celine dion called "join the microsound list
by emailing subscribe to microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"! ie
this list is not about to be swamped by people who will
be out of place. heck, the lowercase sound list is on
yahoo groups and regularly gets porn-related emails
showing that, if people really want to, they can join
that list for the wrong reasons, and people could do
the same on this list if they had the determination.

there will be no videos made for this cd, it's not
going to be promoed to other-than-trade magazines or
reviewed in the gear section of magazines, so your
average music consumer will not be exposed to it.

it will not receive mass advertising and it will cost
more than a regular music cd, and thus it is not going
to sell a huge amount of copies. it will never be
available at your local chain store for $9.99. and
there are many company that do sample cds. i say hooray
for twine and j. frede and sonic foundry. john tejada's
day job for years was doing sample cds and no one ever
crapped on him. oops, did i just let a cat out of the
bag! kit clayton is involved in cycling 64, jake
mandell with native instruments, monolake with ableton,
etc, etc. are musicians not able to make a living wage
from a music related dayjob?

etc. etc. etc.

this is a sample cd, that people will have to buy to
really exploit its potential (all 500 samples will not
be available for download). who cares that the genre is
glitch-related? does it mean that everyone is going to
sound like j. frede 6 months from now? i doubt that
will happen. rapoon, robert rich, twine, and other
quality artists also have cds in that sampler series,
and there aren't a plethora of soundalikes of them now.

perhaps i've totally missed the boat on this, but i
really can't see what the fuss is about. sony bought
sonic foundry; that's business. apple bought logic,
screwing over pc users of logic, but that's business.
are we hating on j. because we wish we could have been
the one who got that sampler cd contract? it's not the
tool you start with that matters, it's the end result,
as far as i'm concerned. if people skip a brittney
spears cd and make glitch music from that or people use
j.'s sampler cd and use those glitches to make music,
the question to ask is: is the result good? we're not
some sort of elite club here are we? if anything, i
think it is a logical progression that this sampler cd
will soon be available. there's sampler cds for house,
techno, tech house, electro, ambient, idm, etc. why
wouldn't there eventually be one microsound-related?
and better that a list member make it than someone who
doesn't understand the music? didn't we all laugh when
we saw that p. diddy had released a compilation entitled
"we invented the remix"? if you know the truth, you
laugh, of course. so if someone uses j.'s sampler cd
and has a hit, j. and anyone else will say to
themselves "hey, that's made from that glitch cd
sampler". if someone buys the cd and ends up on the
list and posts a track made from the glitch sampler cd,
we could give an honest evaluation that says "hey, good
track, but hopefully you will use your own ideas more
in the future now that you've got started". there's a
new issue of a british music magazine that has a "how
to sound like" column; this month it was the neptunes.
why? well, the neptunes are a sh*t hot production duo
right now. that's the way the industry works. music
magazines and sampler cds reflect, and for a valid
reason, what is going on. every day on the radio pop
radio co-opts what has come before from the underground
(jennifer lopez znd puff daddy stealing a loop from
schooly d, snap taking an instrumental loop from
mantronix and a rap from chill rob g and making
millions off the result: a lil' song called "the
power"). yes, i'm blathering here, but only because i'm
still fumbling with trying to understand what the fuss
is about. do we forget that the microsound list
participated in a project that happened because of
madonna? does every beatboxer out there feel coopted
everytime they hear timbaland scatting through a hit
from someone like justin timberlake of n'sync? we're in
a glass house throwing rocks here, aren't we? i'm
surprised we didn't get some kind of thread going re:
my WTO-related post. now that's scary sh*t, ain't it?
is it not more important to be aware of something like
that than j. having a cd sampler released on a company
recently bought by sony? check out that wto related
link. forget that petition, i just wanted people to go
to the site and read more about it. sony isn't trying
to cram this cd down our throats, whereas the wto
really is trying to put controls on things. whew.
andrew duke

out now: Environmental Politics http://and-oar.org
Take Nothing For Granted http://acidfake.tk
Sprung http://bip-hop.com
http://warprecords.com/mart/music/release.php?
cat=BLEEP12&fc_type=CD
*Canadian electronica album of the year nominee*
More Destructive Than Organized http://staalplaat.com
Highest Common Denominator http://pieheadrecords.com
Physical and Mental Health http://dialrecords.com
74'02 (split with Hypo) http://tsunami-addiction.com
Waveforms: Halifax Electronic Music Compilation
http://cognitionaudioworks.com