Re: [microsound] Net connections

on 9/11/03 9:55 AM, Mark Roberts at mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Has anyone ever performed live where the various performers are located in
> different countries, connected or synced via the Internet / broadband? Or
> any other type of similar projects?
>
> I'd like to know of experiences, problems and methods of doing projects like
> this.

not so much live - i think our "audience" was the rector and a fire
investigator who made sure i didn't disturb anything too much - but i did a
recording project at a church in Indianapolis that was badly burnt a couple
of years ago (US). the vocals were delivered by ISDN line from London (UK)
and synced via DRGN's MIDI clock to a performance in some suburb of Dublin
(UK) and reproduced through my synths in Indy and mixed with the vocal
signal and my parts that i was playing. the ambient space was miked and
recorded. burnt brick gives such a lovely reverb - i think it has something
to do with the residual heat being stored...

technical issues - ISDN sucks. DRGN sucks. not everyone's machine
understands MTC.

these gripes aside, it wasn't too bad. WiFi and Broadband corrects most of
these issues, MIDI-LAN the rest. and it's loads of fun when you get it
working - you feel amazingly cool and uber-'L337 (dare i say PICO?). when it
works.

that being said, i'm thinking of trying something like it again, but
cross-pollinated with what i've picked up from Laptop Orchestra. and the zen
center down the street has that lovely T1 connection... ;)

love, keith