Re: [microsound] Re Positionality (re)positioned

In a message dated 9/26/2003 2:32:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, i.andrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Is it possible for a performer to improvise while at the same time
> initiating processes prone to the generation of error, from within the
> sealed of space of the laptop?

Sure, if during a performance you put one of your audio files through a plugin that randomizes parameters , and you have no idea how it will sound, then you are taking a risk.  It's improvising and it could generate unexpected errors.  It's what we usually do when composing before we commit to an idea, in the privacy of our studios.

If so how does the element
> of failure make
> itself known to the audience?

That's a whole other question.  For the audience, I think it's always whatever happens, happens.  They don't know how it could have been different.  Even if your cpu overloads and pauses, the audience might think it was the end of the piece.  I'll never forget seeing the New York City Ballet once when a gel fell out of a light and almost beaned a dancer - we all knew THAT was an element of failure!  In other words, it's almost impossible to tell unless something truly awful happens.

michael f.

http://thebeigechannel.tripod.com