Re: [microsound] books/papers on sci-fi sound design?

There's a book called "Film Sound" that was published a few years back;
it's filled with articles touching on all areas of film sound--design,
philosophy, aesthetics, and history.  It's edited by Elisabeth Weis and
John Belton, and it's published by Columbia U. Press.  Also you should
check out Douglas Kahn's "Noise, Water, Meat," which examines the
aesthetics and politics of music in the 20th century.  There are many
others, including Jacques Attali's famous "Noise or the Political
Economy of Music."  There's also a new book out about the role of sound
in architecture that might be worth a look.  It's called "The
Soundscape of Modernity: Architectural Acoustics and the Culture of
Listening in America, 1900-1933."
mh